If you’re into epic historical action movies, then you simply must watch Legend of Kolovrat (Ленеида о Коловрате). It’s a Russian movie that came out in 2017 and is about a legendary warrior named Evpatiy Kolovrat who leads his band of 17 warriors against an entire Mongol army (more than thousands of Mongol warriors). Some say it’s the Russian version of the movie ‘300’. And I completely agree. So if you’re curious for the movie, then please continue reading this Legend of Kolovrat review!
Click here to order Legend of Kolovrat with english subtitles!
(The link to the free version is at the end of the article – unfortunately without subs)
Legend of Kolovrat Review
The movie was released in 2017 and was directed by the Russian director Dzhanik Fayziev. When the movie just came out even Putin watched it together with the director and he said that it is an impressive movie and a lot of people will want to go and watch it.
It is situated in medieval Russian in the 13th century in the village of Ryazan, where the Russian village prospers. However, when a Mongol army appears trouble arises in town.
One of the things I really liked about the movie are all the portrayals of the times. The Town of Ryazan is very well portrayed and also the cruelties of the Mongol army are very interesting to see. You can read further for the plot – it’s only about the first half of the story since I don’t want to spoil everything for you.
The movie starts off with the young Kolovrat who wants to join a band of Russian soldiers who are going away for battle. However, shortly after a Tatar band attacks the Russian group and all Russians are killed – except for the a young girl Anastasia, who manages to flee on her horse. And Kolovrat who is heavily wounded on his head and left for dead.
The movie than continues with Kolovrat waking up in his house – it is 13 years later and he wakes up every morning with bouts of amnesia due to the traumatic event that he experienced when he was young. His wife, Anastasia, ahs to calm him every morning and he gradually regains his memories throughout the day. In those 13 years he has managed to become one of the best knights in Ryazan and respected among his peers. He is around 20 years old.
However, the good times soon come to end as a huge Mongol army (Zoltaya Arda) is spotted on the horizon. It is winter and the large black encampment dooms before them. Knyaz Yuri, the king of Ryazan, decides to send a small band of warriors – among which his song Fyodor and Kolovrat – to the army to negotiate. Together with a merchant translator and his housemaid (for helping Kolovrat remember who he is after amnesia) they go off to talk to the Khan.
They are met in a non-hostile way, but after refusing to bow before the Khan, things become very bad. It is only due to the heroic sacrifice of the prince Fyodor that everyone manages to escape.
However, they are caught in a snowstorm while in the meantime the Mongol army attacks Ryazan.
When they finally manage to come home, things aren’t the way they were….
Cast of Legend of Kolovrat
In this Legend of Kolovrat review an overview of the cast cannot miss, so here it is (source Wikipedia)
- Ilya Malakov as Evpaty Kolovrat
- David Melkonyan as Evpaty Kolovrat in childhood
- Polina Chernyshova as Nastya
- Diana Pentovich as Nastya in childhood
- Aleksei Serebryakov as Prince Yuri of Ryazan
- Aleksandr Ilyin Jr. as Karkun
- Yulia Khlynina as Lada
- Timofey Tribuntsev as Zakhar
- Igor Savochkin as Ratmir, Nastya’s father
- Aleksandr Choi as Batu Khan
- Sergey Koltakov as Dobromir
Is it a good movie if you want to learn Russian?
Chances are, if you’re reading this Legend of Kolovrat review that you are interested in learning Russian. So here’s a short section about the movie for learning Russian.
- The spoken language isn’t too difficult – a thing I liked was that even though the movie was situated in the 13th century Russian, the language being spoken was very much like it is nowadays. Logical, since it was a film that was meant for the large public. This is a good thing, since some movies (like “Hard to be a God” for example), really overdo the difficult language thing. So if you’re around level B1-B2, you can probably watch the movie without subs.
- There’s a good balance between conversations and action – I like movies for learning RUssian because it’s fun. But there also shouldn’t be too much talking all the time, because that can tire your brain out pretty fast. With enough action breaks, you can easily enjoy the movie to its fullest while letting your brain relax after trying to understand a couple of Russian conversations.
- It’s a portrayal of the ‘perfect’ Russian – all the Russians in the movie are portrayed as self-forgetting honest people who sacrifice everything for their motherland. If you’ve been to Russia a couple of times it can be very interesting to see how all the characters in the movie live up to the stereotype of how a perfect Russian should behave.
Where can you watch Legend of Kolovrat (2017) online?
if you want to watch the Legend of Kolovrat online after reading this Legend of Kolovrat review. Then I have good news for you. The movie is available online and you can watch it through the following link. Unfortunately I didn’t find it with subtitles, so you might have to improve your Russian a bit before you can watch it.
Click here to watch Legend of Kolovrat (2017) online here!
P.S. is the Russian in Legend of Kolovrat too difficult for you? Then check out this easy program on how to learn Russian!
What should you do next?
Learning Russian does NOT need to be difficult. All you need is a solid plan that helps you improve the following things daily:
- listening skills
- speaking skills
That's ALL you need. If you can do this for a couple of weeks, you’ll already be making great progress in your Russian skills.
And the best part? If you improve a little bit every day, soon these practices will become daily habits.
And then you will start making progress on autopilot.
This means that learning Russian is now a part of your daily routine. So you won’t even need discipline anymore to get yourself to practice.
If you like the idea of this, but don’t know where to start, go here for more information.