There are many different Russian courses. So how do you know which one is right for you? I have followed a lot of programs and each one really has its own strength and shortcomings. So that’s why today we’ll discuss the Living Language Russian review. It’s a great course that can help you learn Russian.
In this Living Language Russian review we’ll talk about the strengths and the shortcomings of this program. In general I really liked it – although there were a couple of things that could’ve been done better. Anyway, you’re probably curious if this program can help YOU learn Russian. So let’s find out!
Living Language Russian review
Living Language is a company that has created many different courses for virtually every language out there. They follow a concrete system that is based on science and real world experience to teach you a new language.
Here’s a quick overview of how the method works:
- Learn the basics – get a good overview of all the things that you need to get started. Here you’ll learn some foundational Russian words and sentences to get you speaking right away.
- Build on what you’ve learned – after you’ve got the basics down it’s time to get deeper. You’ll learn more complex sentences and grammar. And you’ll be able to form your own phrases and have conversations.
- Review – the best way to retain information is to review it often. In this phase you’ll do specific exercises to recall specific info and put it in your long-term memory.
- Put your skills into action – you’re probably learning Russian so that you can actually speak it, right? In the last part of the program you’ll get specific practical language skills so you can have conversations.
What will you get?
The program consists of 3 parts. You get 3 books that will take you from beginner to advanced. In total there are 46 lessons (including review exercises and a complete grammar summary). Plus you’ll also get an exercise notebook – so you won’t have to scrabble the answers to exercises in the main course books.
You’ll also get 9 audio CD’s. As you might know I’m a big fan of audio courses because you can listen to them wherever you go. You won’t have to make time to sit down and practice. But you can just plug them in your phone and listen to them while commuting to work, doing grocery shopping, cooking etc.
This saves you a lot of time that you can use for other things. But back to the audio lessons from this Living Language Russian review. The 9 CD’s each have their own vocabulary and dialogues. So that you can listen to the right Russian pronunciation. It’s a great way to practice your listening skills too. You’ll also find exercises in each CD that you can do while listening.
Finally you’ll get access to the online learning environment from Living Languages too. This means that you can find specific exercises and interactive quizzes there. This is a great way to review what you’ve learned. And I’d make it into a habit of doing the quizzes after each CD.
Where lies the focus of the program?
Just like some others I’ve found that the program does really well in giving you an overview and review of Russian. It’s a great for when you’ve already learned some Russian before and are looking to put all your knowledge together.
It’d be great if you followed a program like Russianpod101 or Michel Thomas Russian before – and then use the Russian program from Living Language to bring all your knowledge together. That is because the program does a great job of giving you all the resources in an easy manner for you to review.
The program also works well for those who want a good way to learn how to speak. Without being burdened too much with the grammar. Since the aim of Living Languages is to teach you how to speak (and form your own sentences). So you’ll be speaking for real and won’t need to recite sentences like too many other programs teach you.
Recommended level of fluency
I’d recommend the program for two types of people. So if you identify with one of the following type of Russian learner, the Living Language Russian course is for you!
- Beginner learner – you haven’t yet learned much Russian. You might know some words or the alphabet, but you don’t know how to speak any Russian yet. You want a single resource that can help you get the basics down and learn how to speak yourself. If you’re a complete beginner, Living Language can help you learn the foundation of the Russian language.
- Getting-back-into-it learner – you’ve already learnt some Russian a while ago. or maybe you’re looking for a comprehensive review. A single resource that can help you get back all the knowledge that you had. If this is you, the program will help you get back all your knowledge in an easy-to-follow manner.
Final verdict Living Language Russian review
The program is great if you’re looking for an introduction or review of the Russian language. If you’re looking to get deeper into the language – it might be better to use it in tandem with a more comprehensive program. Or first do all the Living Language lessons and then go to another intermediate program.
If you’re interested in learning Russian, then buy the Living Language Russian program here (click here to see the price).
It’s a good program that will teach you the foundation of the Russian language, teach you some concrete speaking skills and it’s not boring to listen to. On top of that you can do the audio lessons while driving or doing groceries, so the time investment isn’t much too. The reviews and quizzes (both online as in the books) will help you drive down the information that you’ve learned so you’ll be able to better remember it while having conversations.
P.S. Curious for the price of the program after reading this Living Language Russian review? Find out here how much the program costs!.
P.S. Do you find it difficult to have conversations in Russian? I know it's hard, because most of my students struggle with it. Wouldn't it be nice to speak Russian fluently without struggling for words all the time? I have designed a step-by-step system where you'll learn to have 15-minute conversations in 90 days. Make sure you click the link to get access now: https://learntherussianlanguage.com/conversational-russian/